Thursday, April 3, 2014

The newest.

It's been too long.
 
So much can change in the course of a few short weeks.
 
 
Luke is starting to carry on 4-8 word conversations with me. Its so precious. It is so cool to slow down and watch him put the words together. He's getting it. I think he appreciates being able to articulate what he wants instead of screaming and grunting so much. He is growing well, and he has been so much healthier ever since we cut sugar out of the house.
 
Ethan is officially enrolled in kindergarten! I am equally excited and terrified for him. One of the hardest things to do as a Mama, is to knowingly put your children in a situation where they could potentially face big barriers.
Fall.
Get discouraged.
Make mistakes.
 
I know in my heart, that these things build character.. But having a child that has special needs, I feel like I long so much to protect him from those hurts even MORE. Maybe its because I know that he copes differently (sometimes not at all).. Maybe its because I know his heart, this tender-hearted, compassionate, sensitive boy. I know he will stumble. But my mission is to be there giving him the tools in his toolbelt to pick himself up and keep moving forward.
 
School. Woah. When I picked out and purchased a lunch box last week ($4.99 at grocery outlet score!) I swear I fast-forwarded in my mind to highschool graduation. What is it about being a mom, that begs for time to slow down, all the while, waiting for tomorrow to come? He hasn't seen his lunchbox yet, he will be SO excited. Its the little things right?....
 
We don't talk about school much with Ethan because he doesn't have a good sense of time, so he would keep thinking its "tomorrow".... But we are still mentally prepping, and focusing on establishing a good routine NOW, so the change isn't so ground-shaking come fall.
This is my newest routine board. Ethan's counselor suggested solid visual aids, to help alleviate some of the "nagging" from me, to help him focus and stay on task (some days this just isn't possible) and also to enable him to be more independent and take ownership of his own responsibilities. The board pictured above is specifically for his morning routine.
 
 I took a picture of him waiting for his morning clock to turn green to wake up, turning off his radio, brushing teeth, changing clothes, and putting the dirty laundry in the basket... this has been pretty effective as of recently with sufficient bribes motivation. This also gives me a chance to get breakfast ready, because we tend to have a LOT of struggles around impatience and rude words while waiting for meals. Cant blame him TOO much. I get crabby when I am hungry too.
 
I am planning to make another one for bedtime routine, then eventually for the daily flow.. (school type activities ect)
 
So, what's new with you?


No comments:

Post a Comment